Chapelle des Pénitents
Constructed in the centre of the village, near the ancient vicerage, the chapel dates from the 17th century during the catholic Counter-ReformationLearn more
It belonged to the confraternity of the white penitents who beside their religuous devotion also took care of the deceased and practised charity. In 1743, because the wall towards west threatened to fall down, they decided to support it with an arc over the street of the vicerage leaning against the house on the opposite side (today the Oustaou). This arc is still present. During the Revolution the chapel used to serve as a meeting room for the Society of the Friends of the Constitution, particularly powerful in Saint Marcel d’Ardèche. Decorated with modern murals of the second half of the 20th century, the chapel still is a place of cult. Since the tragical explosion of the factory Banc Rouge in 1962, it has become a funerary chapel. Near the entrance a sign reminds us of that tragical chapter in the history of Saint Marcel.