This church dates from the second half of the 19th century and has replaced the more primitive church of the 6th century that was dedicated to Saint Marcel.Learn more
From the former building, modified several times, there only remains the porch and the church tower. The latter dating from the 15th century in late Provençal Gothic style, with its gargoyles and its elegant spire decorated with modillons.
The former church was located on the position of the current square. The new church has been built where once were the ancient cemetery and a couple of houses, demolished for that purpose.
This œuvre is attributed to Bousquet, a architect of Marseille whose work is inspired by the tradition of Viollet le Duc : a vast building with 3 naves in a gothic style and « in harmony with the church tower ». The construction starts in 1862, goes on until the end of the 1870s and finishes off with the gothic pediment of the portal decorated with four pillars. The turrets were added to reinforce the church tower.
Information source : M. Jean-Louis Issartel